At The Lowry Restaurant we believe the perfect winter roast deserves the very best accompaniments. This recipe for deliciously warming and slightly sweet roasted root vegetables works perfectly with beef, chicken or turkey. (Serves 6)
• 200g Parsnips (Diced)
• 200g Carrots (Diced)
• 200g Butternut Squash (Diced)
• 200g Swede (Diced)
• 1 Onion (Finely Sliced)
• 50g Dried Apricots (chopped)
• 30g Dried dates
• 2 Cloves Garlic
• 1tsb Thyme
1. Toss the diced vegetables in vegetable oil, season well and place in a thick bottomed roasting tin. Roast in the oven at 180c for around 20 minutes; turn the oven up to 250c for a further 5 minutes.
2. Whilst the veg is in the oven, gently fry the onions in a little oil with the garlic cloves and thyme until they become soft and start to caramelise.
3. Add the apricots and dates and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. When the vegetables and the onions are cooked, mix them together in the roasting tin. Roast at 200c for a final 10 minutes just before serving.
Categories: From the Kitchen